Sunday, December 1, 2013

In the Distance

To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living. Herman Melville.

IN THE DISTANCE

Something in the distance was never on my mind

I was too busy being vital and young

Life was so livable, love was so givable

Stars were reached for and bells were rung

Something in the distance grew nearer in time

When responsibilities were at the height of my existence

Life still a pleasure, family a treasure

I could see it approaching but showed my resistance

Something that had been only slightly on my mind

Found its ways into my thoughts each day

Aching bones and a slowing steps reminded me

The truth of my demise was inching its way

It is very near now and I find myself wondering

Did I make the best of what time had to give?

If there is one legacy I want to leave behind

It is to be, enjoy, love life, and live

No comments:

Post a Comment