Monday, December 23, 2013

I Once Was

"Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door. Saul Bellow

I ONCE WAS

Today I am just me

In a place not chosen to be

Just where I landed, not in my dreams

So insignificant, it seems

Just one of many, average at best

Not the worst, but beneath the rest

No one inspires to be like me

In a massive forest an average tree

Alone in my darkness of near despair

I find my memories lurking there

It appears to me I've had my turn

And lived my life from stem to stern

Only insignificant in my own mind

Even though the best I've left behind

That's why memories were invented, you see

To prove your status in society

I once had my chance to shine

Now it's my time to move aside

I accept I peaked and that's because

I'll always have memories of what I was

No comments:

Post a Comment