Monday, April 28, 2014

The Battling Poet

"Artistic temperament sometimes seems a battle ground, a dark angel of destruction and a bright angel of creativity wrestling." Madeliene L'Engle (1918-2007)

THE BATTLING POET

Sometimes I wish I could

Bask in the simplicity of it all

Ride the gentle winds, I would

Instead of tumbling down a waterfall

Then inside my head it comes

I become trapped in it once again

The whirlwind of creative eloquence

Will carry me off to way back when

I think in terms of flowers growing

Tides and mountaintops

The images my mind keeps showing

Never seems to stop

A poet's mind is never idle

I close my eyes and words appear

It seems that I'm incapable

Of competing with the likes of old Shakespeare

But then again I find my way

Amid the fantasy to which I'm entitled

In the words and rhymes I have my say

Not harnessed in, a steed unbridled

In my world the angels dance

Beasts are slain and left to die

Folk are caught up in true romance

And it never matters how and why

No comments:

Post a Comment