Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three Poems For Our Country


What is a Communist? One who hath yearnings for equal division of unequal earnings.
Ebenezer Elliot (1846)

~~
As Our Republic Crumbles

I had my eyes on a successful life
I did what I needed to earn it
Yet when I had what I had toiled for
I had to share it with those who yearned it

Up to my eyeballs in hours of labor
It got me the car I drive
Now the government says I must share all I have
With the slackers who don't try to thrive

I dreamed of a mountain
And reaching the sky
But they level my dreams
The more that I try

Now who wants to labor and toil each day
When you're ordered to give it away

Marian
July 31, 2009

The state is not abolished. It withers away. Friedrich Engels (1820-1895)

We Melt Away

Candy melting in the sun
Water evaporating
Just like the state of our economy
There's no reason for celebrating

Our Republic stands above us all
We were the ones who grew it
It grew wildly out of control
Before we even knew it

Apathy and ignorance
Laziness and lack of pride
Is what will be etched on the stone
The day our country died

Marian
July 31, 2009

~~
The less government we have, the better. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1841)

Their Mess

They were meant to represent us
As citizens with our goals
But we allowed then to bankrupt us
And bury us in the holes

They live the life of Riley
Leaving all of us the spoils
They lavish highly as icons
Upon their congressional soils

They say they'll give us health care
That won't cost us a dime
But the taxes we will pay for it
Should surely be a crime

They bailed out failing companies
And took their full control
They'll rule our children's future
With the education they will extol

They'll take all that we worked for
and stomp out all our dreams
They'll spread the wealth to all of those
Who never worked, it seems.

They'll substitute our power
As they borrow all they need
So today they all can have it
And lavish in their greed

Then down the road our children pay
For the ruin that we made
For what they did for us today
Can never be repaid

Marian
July 31, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment