Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Apathy Part Two


It is not that I did not have causes and agendas through my life. I did not live the life of a turnip. My thing in life was animal rescue and pedigree research relating to my breeding Arabian horses. I pulled stints as a Sunday school teacher, 4-H leader, and den mother for my son's cub scout pack. Oh, and don't forget I was a Mamma Bear for our local high school football team! I only now wish I would have put more effort into picking people to run our government with the same care I took choosing just the right stallion for one of my mares. After all, it comes down to a quality of life issue for generations to come if you let yahoos drive your country into fiscal and moral collapse. I find it funny how many wild Internet debates I got involved in concerning neglected animals and poor judging at horse show but I was afraid to voice my political opinions for fear my friends would look down on me. And I figured people more in tune with politics would take care of things for me. So did millions of other people.It was also not that I did not care about what was going on in my country. I just did not dwell on it for long periods of time after the initial impact of some major event. As a teenager I worked at a local amusement park with college students who were focused on worldly issues and at that time the Vietnam war was their cause. When one guy I worked with who attended Kent State and served in the National Guard was called to duty to quell the violence at Kent State against fellow students and friends, I felt his pain. I found out much later in my life that my own brother had been an emotional victim of Vietnam after serving there and he was too torn up to even share his pain with his own family. After years of alcoholism and fighting PSTD he is finally sober and dedicating his life to helping other veterans with similar problems. He is also standing up for freedom and liberty.


When Watergate was in the news I was outraged like everyone else. Through the years I had sparks of concern for the world around me but in the end decided I was so small and insignificant in the scheme of things I would just leave it to those who understood it all to keep me safe and uphold our Constitution. After all, it had been good enough for over 200 years, it was rock solid and nothing was going to circumvent the words of our forefathers on that document so revered in my country.But as I aged and matured my interest in politics grew to where I actually began to watch debates and read about the candidates. I had my opinions and my friends and relatives had theirs. I was not one who embraced conflict so I kept most of my opinions to myself. I figured if I did not discuss things like that with friends and relatives no one would get mad at me for having an opposing view. There were times I felt strongly about my views, but how people regarded me as a friend was too important to me, so I kept quiet. I just held out hope that enough people were thinking like me to right the ship as I saw our economy crumbling, crooks in office, and the past three administrations making a total mess out of things. Then there is mainstream media not only reporting on the puppet show, they were becoming the puppets IN the show. Fact is, there are too many people like me out there hoping everyone else is doing enough to look out for us.

Take a look at where our country is headed now. Progressives have steadily increased our governments role over our Republic and the changes we prayed for are crippling our economy.

2 comments:

  1. I have entered this site as just one more way to get the word out about the extreme danger our country faces. These entries and poems are the pulse of the people in America...it's the pulse of those who are aware or becoming aware of the dangers we face with this new president. We are in PERIL people...START PAYING ATTENTION!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish for the sake of future generations of Americans people will take their heads out of the sand.

    ReplyDelete