Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Apathy Part Three


So here I am in my late fifties, retired, and fighting the typical health problems that come with age. I have worked, been a law abiding citizen, and for the most part a good friend and family member. I have what I thought would be a comfortable pension, as does my husband, yet we are fighting to make ends meet. Why? Because our health care premiums have gone up. the deductibles have skyrocketed, and the co-pays increased significantly. Now the current administration is pushing for a government funded health care plan so those who are uninsured will have insurance. This is totally off the wall as far as I can comprehend. I will continue to pay astronomical costs for my health care and be strapped paying the bills that are not covered while my tax dollars pay for free health care for anyone who doesn't buy their own. Now where does that make sense on any planet other than ours? People who cannot afford health care are already treated if they cannot pay. The government already has programs in place for anyone who does not have health insurance. It is called welfare, medicare, and medicaid. Now we are expected to put our children's future in further debt by creating another government funded program or nationalizing medical care. Health care reform needs to address the problems within the private health care system, capping awards for civil suits, reducing premiums to make health care more affordable to everyone, regulating the fact people are denied treatment, and reducing co-pays and deductibles.

But my life long apathy is to blame for the problems facing our country today. Had I spoken sooner and often, as well as millions of other Americans just like me, perhaps government would not have grown into the monster it has become. Democrats and republicans alike have turned our Republic into a caricature of itself.

No longer are our Representatives serving "We the People", they are feeding their own greed with pork laden agendas designed to make their lives more comfortable. They have spent this country into a corner where there will be no way to ever balance a budget again. Had we done that with our own checkbooks we would be sitting in prison right now.

This is why I am sending this to my friends. You will see now how I am taking a stand for my freedom and liberty. I can no longer remain silent for fear I may rock the boat or cause someone to think ill of me because I may see politics a different way. No, I haven't lost my mind, I have found it. I have also found the courage to use my freedom of speech. It is time to sever our ties from the likes of democrats and republicans who hold a monopoly on our future and no longer are representing their constituents.

Your friend in liberty and Independence,

Marian Beatty

No comments:

Post a Comment